Bilingual Podcast and Discrimination That Overseas Taiwanese Experience in Taiwan: Talking with Cindy Wu
I’m always interested in listening to other podcasts and to learn about Taiwan-related ones. Late last year I heard about the Bilingual aka Bailingguo (百靈果) News Podcast because there was an episode that generated some heated discussion on Forumosa.com, among English-speaking foreigners in Taiwan. Forumosa is an online discussion forum for English-speakers about Taiwan and in full disclosure, they have been a sponsor of Talking Taiwan.
I was wondering what all the controversy was about so I spoke to my friend Cindy about it and this led to a discussion about how foreigners are viewed in Taiwan and oddly enough the discrimination that overseas Taiwanese sometimes experience in Taiwan.
Before recording this episode, I did reach out to get a comment from the hosts of the Bilingual aka Bailingguo (百靈果) News Podcast and to invite them on to Talking Taiwan, but got no response.
Here’s a little preview of what we talked about in this podcast episode:
- One of the most popular podcasts in Taiwan the 百靈果 (Bailingguo aka Bilingual) News Podcast
- How an episode of the 百靈果 (Bailingguo aka Bilingual) News Podcast generated a lot of discussion amongst the English-speaking expat community in an online discussion forum on Forumosa.com
- What the discussion on Forumosa.com was about
- If the slang term lao wai (老外) that refers to foreigners in Taiwan is insulting
- What makes the 百靈果 (Bailingguo aka Bilingual) News Podcast so controversial
- How people have compared the style of the hosts of the 百靈果 (Bailingguo aka Bilingual) News Podcast to Joe Rogan and Howard Stern
- Why the English-speaking expat community on Forumosa.com were upset by the episode
- People’s opinions of the 百靈果 (Bailingguo aka Bilingual) News Podcast
- The discrimination that foreigners experience in Taiwan
- The discrimination that some overseas Taiwanese experience in Taiwan
The 百靈果 (Bailingguo aka Bilingual) News Podcast: https://www.bailingguonews.com/
The discussion on Forumosa.com about the 百靈果 (Bailingguo aka Bilingual) News Podcast: https://tw.forumosa.com/t/news-podcast-commenting-on-foreigners-in-taiwan/212187
Joe Rogan: https://www.joerogan.com/
Howard Stern: https://www.howardstern.com/